Thursday, August 29, 2013

Quick Inspirations - The Sidebraid


I'm having a love affair with The Sidebraid this summer.


Me and Sidebraid. Sidebraid and Me.


I now know what Mary J. Blige means when she sings, "I never knew there was a love like this before."

I am ashamed to say that I wasn't inspired to try The Sidebraid until I saw this Jenna Marbles video. Sweet spot is the 1:11 mark.

"Hey, I went to college." Exactly~ (We at Narnilove <3 you, Jenna!)

I guess I always thought Sidebraid was a kids style? I am lucky enough to work in a casual environment where I can wear jeans and maintain a more laidback look, so I won't contemplate this one too much.

When I was a kid, the braid I was always stuck with was The French Braid.

Don't get me wrong: French Braid is gorgeous - and sometimes blended into one Sidebraid or several - but I would just like to sing the praises of the Sidebraid.

I also have too many memories sitting in a pool locker room or my parent's bedroom as my mom pulled at my hair attempting a perfect French Braid. Homegirl was obesessed with them. Still rocks the look.

I, however, don't feel that it is my look. It is not my soul. I am an impatient soul. I need something that takes 3 minutes or less and I am lucky enough to have straight, boring hair to wear the look. And also, I asymmetrical styles work better for me.

While I know this is an easy style to achieve, a few tips are helpful:

1) Dirty hair works best. Doesn't that additonal laziness just enhance the appeal?

2) If you're feeling greasy, get yourself some powdered shampoo. I use TIGI Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo.

3) Accept a little bit of messiness, expecially if your hair is layered.

4) Put a bird on it...in the form of a barette or hairpin. Or just any barrette really. I use one to secure the bottom ends that get away from the braid in the back of the head. Get creative with it; try this one or this one. Or OMG, a call to Narnilove's spirit animal, Mariah Carey, this one. Maymay, buy them all for me pleeeeaaase?!

I must admit, Sidebraid and I are trying to spice it up and have invited my other love interest from this summer to join us: biking!



Cuddles,
Honeyface

No comments:

Post a Comment